Sunday 8 July 2012


LIU WEI LI               S3-09               02/07/12
Sophie’s World
          Today is Monday and it is the Youth day. I had never heard of this holiday before in China and I thought this is just a holiday in Singapore. However, after searching the internet, I found out that this is a world wide holiday which is also held in China and Taiwan. I was really surprised because why Singaporeans have Youth Day holiday but Chinese do not have and now I even hated the Chinese MOE more. 
           In China, Youth Day is celebrated on May 4 since 1949 which is the year that the new Chinese was born. However, this holiday actually means nothing to me though I am a youth myself. I do not sense any of the youth day atmosphere. Today is just a usual holiday day which I rest most of the time and I also finished my homework today. 
           As I still have a lot of time left and I had nothing else to do. I started to read a book. The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin was very hard for me so I did not want to read it right now. I suddenly realized that I had not read a Chinese book for a really long time and now I felt like reading one. The book is called Sophie’s World and it is in Chinese. Reading Chinese books is much easier for me and I can read it much faster. This book is very interesting and it is talking about philosophy from a little girl. I had not finished reading the book. What I knew right now was that the girl kept receiving a letter from a stranger and the letter was always about teaching her philosophy. The stranger even knows the little girl’s name and the girl soon fell in love with philosophy. She learnt a lot of things that she did not know before and even I was surprised about the philosophy lesson taught by the stranger. I will continue reading this book as soon as I have time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment